Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Schumaker's with the Family (June 21)

Strawberry picking at Schumaker's has been an annual thing ever since I went for the first time in 2010 with Mark. Most years we've all gone together, although when I was pregnant with Cashel, I went by myself.

2010 (Our first trip) We picked 25lbs of berries!


I'm fairly certain we went in 2011, but I never blogged about it or took pictures, so maybe we didn't? I know it was a super busy year with two family weddings in town on top of me being pregnant with Cashel, so maybe it just didn't happen. Granted, I am fairly certain I remember going...and I think it was VERY hot, I was a hot mess and went by myself.

In 2012, the berries were SO tiny. I went by myself early in the morning and picked something like 7lbs, and it took me something like 2 hours. They were perfect for smoothies, but I hardly was able to eat any of them for fear I wouldn't have enough to last me the rest of the summer and winter for smoothies.


Last year, 2013 we took Cashel, and it went about as expected with a mobile 17 month old. We went a little late in the season (although it was a late season), so we ended up with more smallish berries, but still got about 14lbs in the hour we were there.


This year, we took the boys with us on Saturday morning, and to be honest, I was a little bit nervous. Last year with Cashel was challenging, to say the least, but we just brought along the double stroller this year, and it really went great!

It was SO FUN to watch Kendrick nom down on those berries - he would get really really fussy when he ran out of berries, but would get this huge smile on his face the second you handed him another, and then proceed to annihilate the thing haha :) Cashel took berry picking very seriously this year, and helped pick probably about a pound of berries, even if probably a quarter of them were tiny and white, and another quarter of them were rotten.

We ended up with 12lbs overall this year in about 45 minutes. The berries were nice and big and super juicy. We had such a great time!

I'm very much looking forward to this being an annual thing for us. I have a feeling next year will be more fun, since Cashel will probably be more helpful and Kendrick will be able to do a little picking on his own too :) I just love this family tradition we started :)

No comments:

Post a Comment