However...I started back to work today, and I got to drink a hot cup of coffee before it got cold. I actually got dressed up (including putting on a bra!) and did my hair and makeup. I got to go home over my lunch break and not have people hanging on me. No one was screaming in my face or throwing things at me all.day.long.
Is it wrong to say that I'm grateful for being forced to go to work during a global pandemic?
That last part is a very real reality. He has what I believe is called Echolalia, where he shouts very, very loudly at the top of his lungs regularly. It's irritating for me when he calls and just shouts the same things over and over at me on video chats, but for his 1:1 aides, he'll stand there shouting in their face for long periods of time, and they are just exasperated. It's unnerving, and I completely get that. So...we're trying to figure out what to do. His social worker called me yesterday to tell me how bad it has gotten for the aides, and so I gave her permission to discuss options with the nurse at Mark's facility so they could come up with some options. I tapped into my FTD Spouse support group as well and got some great recommendations: Things like a possible wax build up causing issues with him hearing, or perhaps an ear infection. See, with FTD, what happens as time goes on is that they can't recall how to express what they're feeling. So he might have an ear infection or a UTI, and his ear hurts really bad, and he just gets horribly frustrated because he can't figure out how to express that. I passed along these recommendations to his social worker to see if implementing any other ways to communicate with them might work. Like...perhaps him being able to write it down if he can't form the words verbally, or if he was able to create something in craft form perhaps?
I think often about how difficult it must be for him to be unable to express himself. Maybe it doesn't bother him at all, but I think back to something my Mom said during her battle with Parkinson's that really resonated with me, and scares me at the same time. She said that the hardest part about her battle with Parkinson's was her inability to write, and her inability to really sing, and since writing has always been her way to get out her emotions, it feels like it's all bottled up inside. (She has decades worth of journals to prove that.) Sometimes I wonder if that's how Mark feels too, even if this is a very different form of dementia (VERY different). Can you imagine if you felt love pounding out of your chest and you couldn't express that to the people around you? Could you imagine if you wanted to express how grateful you are but couldn't get those words out? Could you imagine if you were raging angry about something but couldn't get that out of your system? I cannot even fathom how hard that would be. Writing is my calming mechanism, the most effective way to de-stress for me. If I had that taken away, I truly believe I would be out of my mind.
I feel at a loss as to how to help Mark from afar. I've seen those pictures of loved ones sitting outside their loved ones' windows at facilities, and it guts me. See, I can't do that, or else Mark would be knocking people down to try to get out the door to get me. I can't go there. I can't calm him like I do. Even on video chat, he just seems agitated, and too overly excited. I've provided a plethora of photo books already, large 8x10 pictures for his photo divider, the portal for video chats, and so much more, but I still just feel like I'm falling completely flat on what else. I'm just not good at sitting back and resting. I have been emailing messages and pictures to his facility activities director who then prints them out and takes them to him. It feels good to be able to keep him updated on how the kids and I are doing. It still just feels...impersonal, I guess.
I was talking to my friend Sarah the other day about the whole "big picture vs. details" concept I've covered on here before, but in talking it out, I've realized that I'm kinda doing it all wrong. Maybe I DO need to look at the details when it comes to the future, but when it comes to the past, I need to broaden my horizons and see the bigger picture of where I've come. Each moment right now feels overwhelming and exhausting for the most part, but when I turn around and see where I've come from, I realize that I've not only come a very long ways so far, but also that I've made significant progress in my perspective as well.
Part of that has been my own doing, but a significant portion more of it has been the friends and family who have come alongside me to encourage me, to give advice, to help me figure out how to handle situations with the kids or with Mark or whatever it might be. I see now that while I FEEL like I've been picking at this pile of dirt with a plastic shovel, God was pulling out the big dogs and working right alongside me, and together, we've accomplished a LOT more than I really even realized.
In the meanwhile, I guess I'd better grow to accept being "essential".
No comments:
Post a Comment