Before bed (and I'm pretty sure this may actually be one of those "mother of the year" things that actually may be deserving of the title), I have a routine down with all 4 of my kids that my therapist and I worked on about a year ago. It gives them 5-15 minutes (depending on the night) of just Mama time. The little ones always pick books, although the big ones sometimes just request snuggle and "talk time". We read (or talk), we sing, I put them in bed, and I pray over them. It has turned into one of my favorite parts of the day, as long as the whining from everyone who ISN'T being put to bed isn't a thing.
There are some books that I just flat out KNOW I can't make it through without ending up in a puddle of tears. I remember often standing just outside the doorway listening to Mark use different booming voices as he'd read "Tea Party Rules" or "Little Loon and Papa". Those ones I know are off-limits. But one that I hadn't recalled was one called "Red Wagon" by Renata Liwska. Ryan picked that one last night.
While even just a few months ago, a small little encounter might have taken me a few weeks to recover from, this particular night, the tears were dry by the time we finished the next book and I left Ryan's room.
I told my therapist yesterday that while I feel like I'm never going to stop these cycles of grief, I feel like they don't overtake me like they used to: I don't stay in the midst of it for long. I absolutely adore my husband: I always will. But I really do feel like I'm progressing past the part where it consumes me thinking about him all day long every day. I think part of it is the experience he has been having at his new facility: They are honestly just so incredible in how they're approaching his care there, and I am thrilled. I no longer feel like his caregiver, which helps me personally. My therapist said she felt I seemed more settled in my demeanor than I had since she had been seeing me, and I think that's a fair representation of how I feel.
I will never stop loving him. I will never stop grieving his loss. I will never stop advocating for him or for a treatment and cure for this horrific disease. But I feel like I'm finally just slowly reaching the point of not letting it consume me anymore, and that's extremely freeing. The weight on my shoulders is lifting.
Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing.
ReplyDelete