Monday, November 2, 2015

Harvest 2015

Another year has come and gone, and we're thrilled to have Harvest 2015 in the books. This year was a drastically lighter load than years past, due in part to some equipment being down (and therefore making for a slow going that Kent could easily keep up with), and due in part to having bigger equipment to get the job done faster. With harvest going into mid-October coupled with 3 weeks without precipitation, the corn also had a chance to dry down well enough that it eliminated the expense of having to dry it before hauling it in.

The boys and I joined Mark for a bit to "help" with driving the tractor and riding in the combine with Daddy and Grandpa, so I thought I'd share some of the great memories I was able to capture that day :) I love to watch my boys develop a love for farming like their Daddy and the generations before him. I know Grandpa Lance would be proud knowing that although he can't be here with them showing them the ropes, they're developing that love as well.










Kendrick is still a little scared in the tractor without Mommy riding along. I ended up staying with him for this combine ride.

Once Mama was on board, he was totally fine with the whole thing.

After that, he was totally ready to take the reigns and haul a load in to the elevator.





Another harvest in the books! There's still some tillage to do, and then getting everything put away, but that's mostly it.

The picture below just blows my mind. It's hard to believe that it has been 2 full harvests since Kent's accident, and it warms my heart to see Mark and for him to have his Dad still not just alive, but back doing what he loves, and doing it well. I'll never forget the phone call, and the subsequent weeks to follow when we didn't even know if he'd make it out alive, and the six weeks of back and forth trips to Sioux Falls as he slipped in and out of the ICU, Acute and finally Rehabilitation center. Mark will never forget that day for as long as he lives; the day he almost lost his Dad. And I'm so grateful that we have Kent here to continue on this legacy of farming, and teaching my boys the value of hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment